This section is to provide information for Teachers, Coaches and Students on how to debate online.
In 2023, we expect ASD to return to in-person debating. This page contains information on Online Debating if it is to be required. ASD Online debating takes place using Zoom.
The following contains Zoom links for ASD’s grades.
Zoom (Rooms #101-299):
- Link: https://zoom.us/j/97730925504?pwd=MEFydHpaTnRPaW02WnlUUHZDOHJjQT09
- Meeting ID: 977 3092 5504
- Passcode: 385364
Zoom (Rooms #301-499):
- Link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85821067566?pwd=ZUw1WE1MamQ0SVNwRlhVVXFabmdjQT09
- Meeting ID: 858 2106 7566
- Passcode: 203153
For Adjudicators judging Junior Open or Senior Open via Zoom in 2022, you will have the option to complete your marksheet in 2 different ways:
- File Upload – Upload a copy, photo or screenshot of your marksheet
- Form – Enter the speaker names and scores directly into a form
To submit your marksheet use one of the following links:
Students can choose to debate together from one computer or separately from multiple devices. If students wish to debate separately, ASD will provide a way for the students to prep together via Zoom. Teams may decide that they will:
- Debate together from school
- Debate together from a team member’s house
- Debate separately from their own houses
- Have some team members debating together and some team members debating separately
Online Debating Process
The standard process for debating will be as follows:
- Each grade will have a link to the Zoom call that will be hosting the debates for that grade. In some of our larger grades there may be multiple Zoom call links. The link will be included in the draw for each grade.
- Participants will join the Zoom call and a roll call will be taken from the main room
- If there is preparation time, at the motion release time the motion will be announced in the main room. Teams will need to write down or take a picture of the motion
- The Zoom breakout rooms will then be opened. For each debate there will be an affirmative and negative preparation room, allowing team members who are debating separately to prepare. Students will need to self-allocate themselves into the correct breakout room
- Debates will take place in the affirmative team room. At the end of the preparation time, the negating team and any spectators will need to move themselves to the affirmative team room
- The adjudicator will arrive and they will chair the debate like normal.
- After the debate has taken place and the adjudicator has given the decision they will invite teams to get feedback.
- Feedback can be given with both teams present or with only one of the team present.
Allowance for Technical Errors
If a participant is disconnected from the debate, the adjudicator will pause the timer if there is a speech ongoing and allow 5 minutes for the participant to reconnect. If the participant does not return within this time, the debate will continue.