Our 2021 Calendar can be found on our website here!
- Saturday 27 March/Sunday 28 March – Auckland Regionals
- Saturday 31 July/Sunday 1 August – Junior Championships
- Saturday 21 August/Sunday 22 August – Impromptu Cup
Note: For 2021, we will also run some sessions over Zoom to increase the accessibility of the sessions (these may be less interactive than our in-person sessions).
Zoom link for all sessions (please feel free to share directly with your adjudicators): https://zoom.us/j/91371949546?pwd=ZHdNS1B3RUZ4S3IvcnZQUUJpYUswZz09
- Wednesday 17 March (5:30pm – 7:00pm) – PJ Coaching Session at Diocesan School for Girls
- Tuesday 23 March (5:30pm – 7:00pm) – AO Coaching Session at St Cuthbert’s College and Zoom
- Monday 29 March (4:30pm – 6:00pm) – JO Coaching Sessions at Rangitoto College, Epsom Girls Grammar School, Lynfield College, Howick College, Tangaroa College and Zoom
- Tuesday 30 March (4:30pm – 6:00pm) – SO Coaching Sessions at Westlake Boys High School, Mt Roskill Grammar School, Sacred Heart College, De La Salle College, Avondale College and Zoom
Adjudication Seminars for Junior Open and Senior Open will be run online via Zoom in 2021. This will make it easier for us to provide high quality seminars to all teachers in Auckland. These sessions are compulsory in order to be an approved adjudicator (even if you have previous adjudication experience). These sessions should also be attended by those intending to be student adjudicators.
Zoom link for all sessions (please feel free to share directly with your adjudicators): https://zoom.
- Monday 22 March (4:30pm – 6:00pm) – Zoom
- Tuesday 23 March (4:30pm – 6:00pm) – Zoom
- Wednesday 31 March (5:30pm-7:00pm) – Zoom
- Thursday 1 April (5:30pm – 7:00pm) – Zoom
ASD is pleased to announce based on the positive feedback we received from schools that the ASD season will be resuming from 2 June with all preliminary rounds taking place online.
- Advanced Open (Round 1) – Tuesday 2 June – 5:30pm/7:00pm
- Premier Advanced (Round 2) – Wednesday 3 June – 5:30pm/7:00pm
- Junior Open (Round 1) – Monday 8 June – 4:30pm
- Prepared Motion: This house would require all school students to play a team sport.
- Senior Open (Round 1) – Tuesday 9 June – 4:30pm
- Prepared Motion: This house would ban unpaid internships.
- Premier Junior (Round 2) – Wednesday 10 June – 5:30pm/7:00pm
- Thursday 28 May (9:00am) for AO/PA
- Saturday 30 May (9:00am) for JO/SO/PJ
Dear Students, Teachers, Parents and the Wider Debating Community,
ASD has been continually reviewing advice and recent developments related to the outbreak of COVID-19 in New Zealand.
We know that the health and wellbeing of our community are of the utmost priority for everyone. As such ASD will be putting the debating season on hold for the remainder of Term 1. This means that all rounds, adjudication seminars and in-school coaching will no longer be taking place this term.
In the coming weeks, ASD will review the potential resumption of debating at the start of Term 2. If the season resumes, we will release an updated calendar and allow schools to make adjustments to their registrations. In the interim, we will still take Open grade registrations from any schools which missed this Wednesday’s deadline.
ASD is also investigating ways in which we can still provide the experience of debating to students and we will be looking to develop our library of online debating resources to support students. We are also exploring a potential online debating league which would allow students to debate from home.
ASD has had a record 360 teams register this year and we thank our community for your continued support of debating in Auckland. We hope you stay safe in these difficult times.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zac, Lucy, Chenchen, Liam, Karan, Ben, Harry, Umbar, Celine, Izzy, Grace, Ano, Vino, Libby and Ian
NZSDC has been reviewing advice and recent developments related to the outbreak of COVID-19 in New Zealand.
Auckland Regionals is a large gathering of students from schools across Auckland. As such NZSDC has decided to postpone this weekend’s Auckland Regionals in order to minimise the health risk to students, schools and the wider debating community. We hope to be able to run Auckland Regionals later in 2020.
In order to select the Auckland Regional teams, NZSDC will be running a selection weekend in place of Auckland Regionals. Speakers have been selected for this weekend based on performances at Premier Advanced Round 1 and Seasonal Championships as well as during Auckland Development Squad and New Zealand Team Development programme sessions. We will be in touch with any selected speakers with further details about this weekend and to confirm their attendance.
ASD will be reviewing the status of upcoming ASD grades and events in the coming days and will update the community as soon as a decision is taken.
If you have any questions about this statement please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our 2020 Calendar has been released on our website here!
- Monday 2 March – Entry Deadline (Premier Grades)
- Wednesday 18 March – Entry Deadline (Open Grades)
- Sunday 8 March – Seasonal Championships
- Saturday 21 March/Sunday 22 March – Auckland Regionals
- Saturday 25 July/Sunday 26 July – Junior Championships
- Saturday 8 August/Sunday 9 August – Impromptu Cup
- Saturday 26 September/Sunday 27 September – NZ Schools British Parliamentary
Coaching Sessions/Adjudication Seminars:
- Wednesday 4 March: 5:30pm – 7:00pm – PJ Coaching Session (Diocesan School for Girls)
- Tuesday 10 March: 5:30pm – 7:00pm – AO Coaching Session (St Cuthbert’s College)
- Monday 16 March: 4:30pm – 6:00pm – JO Coaching Session/Adjudication Seminar (Rangitoto College, Epsom Girls Grammar School, Lynfield College, Howick College, Tangaroa College)
- Tuesday 17 March – SO Coaching Session/Adjudication Seminar (Westlake Boys High School, Mt Roskill Grammar School, Avondale College, Sacred Heart College, De La Salle College)
- Wednesday 25 March: 5:30pm – 7:00pm – Adjudication Seminar (Auckland Grammar School)
- Tuesday 31 March: 5:30pm – 7:00pm – Adjudication Seminar (St Cuthbert’s College)
- Wednesday 11 March – PA Round 1
- Wednesday 18 March – PJ Round 1
- Tuesday 31 March – AO Round 1
- Monday 6 April – JO Round 1
- Tuesday 7 April – SO Round 1
PA Grand Final and Prizegiving
We would like to invite all students, teachers and coaches who participated in Auckland Schools’ Debating this year to attend the ASD Premier Advanced Grand Final and Prizegiving. Those attending will be treated to a Grand Final debate (Auckland Grammar School vs St Kentigern College) with some of the best speakers in Auckland which will be followed by a recognition of the top 10 students in each grade.
Date: Wednesday 11 September
Location: Auckland Grammar School – Centennial Theatre (enter through Gate 1)
Time: Doors open at 6:30pm for a 6:45pm start. The prizegiving will occur after the Premier Advanced Grand Final and will conclude by 8:45pm.
Food and Drink: Light drinks and snacks will be served after the event
Parking: Parking is available on Mountain Road and surrounding streets
School Map: Link to map
We would also like to invite you to attend the Grand Final of your respective grades. We have no doubt that these will be extremely high quality debates.
Grade: Senior Open (Ormiston Senior College vs St Mary’s College)
Date and Time: Tuesday 3 September at 6:30pm
Location: Ormiston Senior College
Grade: Premier Junior (Westlake Girls High School vs Diocesan School for Girls)
Date and Time: Wednesday 4 September at 6:30pm
Location: Westlake Girls High School
Directions: Meeting room H8 (Parking is available at the lower carpark, entry off Wairau Road opposite Atlas Concrete)
Grade: Junior Open (Kristin School vs Westlake Girls High School)
Date and Time: Monday 9 September
Location: Kristin School
Grade: Advanced Open (Lynfield College vs St Dominic’s College)
Date and Time: Tuesday 10 September
Location: Lynfield College
Thanks to those of you who tuned in live! Apologies once again for the delay caused by technical difficulties. The break is available to view here if you missed it.
Below you can find a link to the relevant pages for your grade below.
Link to Break Information
You can read our policy on how the break is determined on our website.
Break Round Information
The first break rounds will be starting early next term. Teachers with breaking teams will be emailed separately to confirm their attendance at the Break and with further information. The dates for the break are below.
- Junior Open: Monday 5 August at Epsom Girls Grammar
- Senior Open: Tuesday 30 July at St Cuthbert’s College
- Advanced Open: Tuesday 30 July at St Cuthbert’s College
- Premier Junior: Wednesday 31 July at Auckland Grammar School
- Premier Advanced: Wednesday 7 August at Diocesan School for Girls
Finally, we owe a massive thank you to all the teachers who have coached and supported teams this year. Without the time and effort you put into organising debating, coaching teams, and transporting students debating would not be possible.
Congratulations again to all the teams that have broken, and commiserations to those who didn’t. We hope to see many teams at Junior Championships or Impromptu Cup early next term.
Thanks to everyone who tuned in live! Apologies once again for the delay. The break results will be published on the ASD Website by 7pm tonight, in the meantime please watch the video to find out the results.
This year, ASD is excited to announce that we’re shaking up how the breaks are announced for each grade! The breaks will be announced through a video live stream at 1pm on Tuesday 2 July that you can tune into on Facebook and YouTube! You’ll be able to tune in to watch the convenors of each grade announce which teams have progressed through to the break rounds and gather as a team to watch the announcements at lunch time.
If your school throws a viewing party and you send a photo to the ASD committee via Facebook or Instagram, you’ll also go in the draw to win your school garlic bread at impromptu cup! Best of luck for the break!
Further information about the break will be sent out by email and available on our website at 8pm on Tuesday 2 July.
You can view the dates for the break rounds on the calendar on our website.